5.2 and amd64 - good enough for a production server?

Jimmie Houchin jhouchin at texoma.net
Tue Dec 16 19:14:37 PST 2003

David O'Brien wrote:
> On Mon, Dec 15, 2003 at 03:57:57PM -0600, Jimmie Houchin wrote:
>
>>>Things with definite issues that I've run across:

>>>graphics/acroread - binary only linux i386 distribution
>>>Hardly stuff you're likely to run on a big server box, though. Standard
>>>workstation fare runs fine as well.
>>
>>acroread failed to build on my Gentoo AMD64 install as well.
>

> Huh?  Acroread is a binary distributed by Adobe.  One can only install
> it, not build it.

You are correct. I forgot. Since on Gentoo all I did was
bash #   emerge acroread

And Gentoo downloaded and installed it, I had forgotten.
Most Gentoo is source, and with the exception on a single item I have
not knowingly installed a precompiled package. That is two now that you
have brought acroread to my remembrance.

What I erringly remembered as the build failing was acroread failing to
run do to some library issues.

Jimmie Houchin