5.2 and amd64 - good enough for a production server?

Joel V. joel at almic.ee
Mon Dec 15 08:40:49 PST 2003

Just making sure I understand everything, before I go to my boss and tell
him to buy a 4000$ opteron box. =)

1) All the ports are working fine? I can go to /usr/ports/x and make install
clean and I got myself a 64-bit binary working on a 64-bit operating system?
(I'm mainly interested in Apache, qmail, vpopmail, proftpd and samba, which
are quite essential to have.)

2) AMD64 version of 5.2 will support the same amount of hardware than i368
version? The most important area of support being RAID controllers, for me
at least. (Adaptec SCSI for booting and system disks, 3ware ATA for
dedicated backup disks. Oh, and what about RAID management tools?)

3) Last but not least - 32-bit compatibility? I know Linux binary
compatibility, both 32-bit and 64-bit is NOT DONE, but when will it be? Will
it take a month, half a year or more? Its not a matter of life and death,
but it would be good to know. And as far as I understand, at this moment I
cannot also run 32-bit FreeBSD binaries from earlier 5.x releases?

Please be not offended by my outrageously newbie-esque questions.

Take care and thanks in advance!

Joel V.