Packages/Ports problem

Joe Fenton jlfenton at citlink.net
Thu Dec 11 18:20:27 PST 2003

>  Adriaan de Groot wrote:
 >
 > > On Wednesday 10 December 2003 21:45, Jimmie Houchin wrote:
 > >
 > > As an alternative, if you've got a spare i386 box sitting around,
you could
>  > install FreeBSD on that too, and install the i386 cvsup package on
it. Then
>  > use that cvsup to update the sources and ports trees (you can share
source
>  > and ports trees with NFS).
 >
 > Well I have an Athlon 700mhz desktop, which I am considerig switching to
 > FreeBSD after I move some data off of the spare drive.

http://www.onlamp.com/pub/a/bsd/2002/05/09/Big_Scary_Daemons.html

This shows how to make a dual-boot setup. In this case, he is setting up
his computer to boot FreeBSD -current  or FreeBSD -release. Use the
same method to set up FreeBSD i3686 and FreeBSD amd64. I did that
on my Opteron workstation. If strange things happen in amd64, you can
reboot into i386 and try to figure things out from there.

Set up three slices - one for i386, one for amd64, and a common slice.

This same site has a very good article on setting up your FreeBSD to handle
kernel panics using the swap partition as has been mentioned a few times
recently.