alpha/75317: [ata] [busdma] ATA DMA broken on PCalpha

Wilko Bulte wb at freebie.xs4all.nl
Tue Mar 27 20:43:11 UTC 2007

On Tue, Mar 27, 2007 at 10:26:28AM -0400, John Baldwin wrote..

> > > Yes, I sort of wondered what was going on. We get these reminders about
> > > bug reports filed against FreeBSD/Alpha sent to us at freebsd-alpha@
> > > once a month and when someone actually DOES something about it, the bug
> > > is closed before the patch can tested and committed?
> > >
> > > Please don't do that.
> > >
> > > I for one appreciate the work and effort, John.
> > >

> > > - Idar
> >
> > Don't misunderstand me, I also appriciate the work of John and the other
> > committers; though most alpha PR's are stale and unlikely to get resolved
> > anytime soon (read:  never). I dont want to uphold something that isn't
> > going to get fixed, and yes that would mean stepping on some people's toes
> > from time to time, in that case we can actively do something about the
> > specific tickets while the others well just fade out.
> >
> > Thanks for the feedback though, the ticket had been reopened and apologies
> > had been made in the ticket.
>
> I think it was a bit of a misunderstanding actually and I might have
> overreacted a bit.  Apparently there's been some noise in the PR + core team
> about closing Alpha PR's and that just happened to collide with my finally
> sending a patch out for testing yesterday. :)  If there is a decision that is
> made wrt Alpha PR's, it would be helpful to at least have some sort of
> announcement made on the alpha@ mailing list.  I think we should hold off on
> doing too much de-support of Alpha though until we truly de-support it when
> we stop supporting 6.x.

That is still the official story.  Also true is that most alpha PRs
still in the system have been there for a long time.  Some of them are
quite hardware model dependent, just to complicate matters.

Dunno.. I'm too biased with regards to the Alpha port deorbiting to
comment further.

Wilko
--
Wilko Bulte				wilko at FreeBSD.org