HEADSUP: Alpha support is being retired in 7.0

Paul V. Bolotoff walter at alasir.com
Mon May 15 11:53:09 UTC 2006

That's sad very much. However, the architecture may be revived sooner or later. The instruction set is free, and most original patents of DEC are expired by this moment. Thanks to DEC, the architecture and its hardware implementations are well-documented. There are open-source operating systems, compilers, assemblers and other development tools available, so it's a matter of time for some enterprise to pick everything up and blow a new life into the architecture. We'll see what we shall see.

By the way, the Alpha processors have never had integer division implemented in hardware. Not a drawback though, because it's a relatively complicated instruction. It takes an advanced computational logic and dozens of cycles to complete execution anyway (about one bit per clock cycle). To throw an example in, Athlon64-family processors can do that in 42 cycles for 32-bit operands or in 74 cycles for 64-bit ones. Finally, it isn't an easy task for hardware engineers to get it pipelined properly...

PVB

On Thu, 11 May 2006 14:24 , John Baldwin <jhb at freebsd.org> sent: