DS10 6.0 new install hangs mounting root from ufs:/dev/ad0a

Nathan Whitehorn nathanw at uchicago.edu
Mon Mar 13 15:40:59 UTC 2006

Steve Rikli wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 13, 2006 at 08:38:40AM +0100, Wilko Bulte wrote:
>
>> On Sun, Mar 12, 2006 at 08:03:35PM -0800, Steve Rikli wrote..
>>
>>> Just finished an apparently uneventful install of 6.0 from CD
>>> onto a DS10.
>>>
>>> The system hw is all healthy AFAI can tell -- it was previously
>>> running OFS1 okay.
>>>
>>> The 6.0 install finshed and I rebooted -- last thing it ever
>>> says on serial console is:

>>>   Waiting 5 seconds for SCSI devices to settle
>>>   Trying to mount root from ufs:/dev/ad0a
>>>
>>> and then nothing.  No more <cr> or ^c or the like do anything.
>>>
>>> I've included as much of the serial console output as I could
>>> capture.  Suggestions/help/etc. very welcome.
>>>
>> ATA support appears to be hosed on Alpha, and from looking at it this
>> has been a problem for a long time.  I run my DS10s with SCSI and
>> did not notice any problems on those.  It is also not only ATA on DS10
>> that has problems, my 164SX also suffers from it.
>>

> Which SCSI controller & drive do you use?
>
> I suspected ATA was simply out in the weeds, so I installed an isp
> and then later an ahc -- using a Hitachi 36GB (DK32DJ-36MW) caused
> a panic during the device probing while booting the 6.0 install CD.
>
> An 18GB Hitachi passed the probing, but the sysinstall never found
> the drive to open for partitioning, even though the probing showed
> it as da0.

I use an ahc (Adaptec 2940) without any problems whatsoever. I can even
boot from it. As another poster noted, there are sometimes problems with
disks without pre-existing disklabels or, worse, i386 MBR partitions,
which can cause kernel panics on boot. NULLing the first 10 MB or so of
the disk with dd seems to fix this.
-Nathan