Will FreeBSD run on AlphaServer GS60E?

Scott salkillen at internode.on.net
Sat Mar 11 01:56:31 GMT 2006

Hi Guys,

I have the opportunity to obtain a Compac AlphaServer GS60E system, with 4 x
700 Mhz Alpha 21264 processors, 4 Gb RAM, 2 x Storageworks 7x36gb disk
arrays.

Am I likely to be able to get FreeBSD 6.0 or other versions to run on this
system?

Best Regards,
Scott Killen
aka CoffeeMan
salkillen at internode.on.net
Kelso, New South Wales, Australia
Google Earth lat -33.416027, lon 149.607101

nb.

I also have 1 x Alphaserver 2100 4/233 with 2 x 233 Mhz Alpha 21264
processors, 512 Mb RAM, 2 x Storageworks 8x4.3Gb disk arrays. (which I have
succeded in installing FreeBSD on, it flys :)

and

1x AlphaServer 2100A 4/275 which I'm currently rebuilding ('twas short of
some parts, which I'm currently ebaying for, and hope to finish next
week)...

It is my intention to intergrate these systems into the Local Community
Wireless Network, as an example of what you can do with old cheap heavy iron
and FreeBSD (I have so far spent less than AU$1000.00 on these systems and
AU$350.00 to upgrade the 240v/30amp power supply to our house, "she who must
be obeyed" was not looking forward to my powerbills, but hey, I don't have
to run heaters in winter, I just duct the exhaust from the computer room
round the house... :)