digital 2100A Server Model 500MP

jonathan michaels jlm at caamora.com.au
Sat Mar 4 23:50:11 PST 2006

i've just aquired a beastie as per the subject line, it identifies
itself as a 4/275 on teh operators control panel, it "show config"
reports some 256 mb dram (two x 128) a scsi cdrom, a floppy disk drive,
some sort of vga it is responding to a ps/2 keyboard and mouse
combination out of an intel/ms win nt box, oh it has a 10 (i suppose)
mhz ethernet chip its pal code is some 1998 drom memory .. i fired it
up saterday week ago when it arived and its been dormant ever since.
tomany other things to organise live to live stuff like that.

i also got some paper work with it as well, some 2 inches of a digital
document print job that i've scanned, most of it makes no sence beyound
hose one being eisa and i have no eisa hardware. it has i think a
storageworks RAID configuration on board as well as dual power suplies
(redundant powersupplies). when i pluged it in (the bottom one) both
sets of fans started up but only the bottom dc line light ligted up
(green) i pluged in teh top 240 ac recepticle and nothing happend when
i turned on teh relevent switches.

it boots ot teh herring bone prompt, given that i could see teh show
config stuff ... redundant jonathan, sorry.

i'm hoping to replace some 3 small (various 386/486 pentium p5 vintage)
machines and upgrade from freebsd v2.2.7-release to freebsd
v6.0-release and given that the serial port might have ns16550af
whatever uarts upgrade my 9600 baud modem to something a bit more
chirpie like the usrobotics sprtster i've had waiting in teh wings for
several years, till i got some decent uarts, sorta grin.

i've tallied up teh 220w psupplies in teh replaced machines and it
doent come up to the 1k2 watt but come realllly close to be almost
negligable (to this pennypincher welfare bean counter survivalist, grin
of sorts).

any war stories, good bad, take it to teh tip, leave it outside for teh
sparrows to nest in teh RAID slots, by teh way it has 3 4g3 seagate
inserts and teh paper work mentions that these should be filled with
matched pairs other wise nasty things might happen, some explanations
would be appreciated, most please regarding information on this point.

this is my first forey into "real computers", also i hope to be getting
3 to 5 more of those "storageworks" briquettes hard drive thingies
sooner or latter

sorry i've wandered a bit my pills (teh little red ones) have been
buzzing up a bit of a storm lately and my brain is a bit confused at
teh moment .. sorry.

information, sugestions somesort of a small repository (ok given teh
33k6 symetrical network connection, my account is a wonderful permanent
modem dilup type account with sort of all that i can push fro free type
of account .. i've been thinking of setting up a repository for
software/information/patches to bsd (mainly freebsd) for addition of
usability features for disabled peoples bsd problems etc, etc. as well
as a web site for people with broken endocrine/pituitary/hypothalamus
type medical issues. given that i have these things myself i thought
that it might be a a way to highten public awarness of same.

of list stuff would be muchly appreciated, i would really like to make
this system resource available as it would clean up some of teh scare
mongering that makes us funny looking peoples somewhat frightening at
times ... not all monsters are scarey ghouls .. grin.

with most kind appreciations and sincere gratitude

warm regards

jonathan