KZPCC-CE SCSI controller

Bernd Walter ticso at cicely12.cicely.de
Tue Aug 2 17:42:19 GMT 2005

On Tue, Aug 02, 2005 at 10:23:22AM -0700, David O'Brien wrote:
> On Mon, Aug 01, 2005 at 05:15:01PM +0200, Wilko Bulte wrote:
> > Yes, asr(4) is not in the default Alpha kernels.
> ..
> > Would be interesting to know if it works or not, then we can go and
> > add it into the default GENERIC for FreeBSD/alpha install cds.
>
> It will not work as-is.  I suspect it could be made to work using the
> ugly hack we have elsewhere in src/sys:
>
> #ifdef __alpha__
> #undef vtophys
> #define vtophys(va)     alpha_XXX_dmamap((vm_offset_t)va)

So this driver is not busdma'ed yet?
Igh - this will invalidate it for lots of machines, not just alpha.
Since I'm working on > 2G support and AFAIK the asked machine can
have more than that this may be a problem.
I intent to panic if a driver calls vtophys on a large mem alpha.
Otherwise I see no option to protect systems from failing in
spectacular ways.
I don't think we can expect users to not accidently activate such
drivers - especially as those problems may be hidden for a while.
We could get such drivers working by using a large direct map, but
since most of the problematic cards can only do 32bit addressing
this wouldn't help that much.

bernd at bwct.de                                  info at bwct.de