5.3-BETA3 and tga...

Andreas Kohn andreas.kohn at gmx.net
Tue Sep 7 23:56:28 PDT 2004

On Wed, 2004-09-08 at 04:41, Marcel Moolenaar wrote:
> On Tue, Sep 07, 2004 at 11:29:17PM +0200, Andreas Kohn wrote:
> > >
> > > Some background: The machine check is caused by the load prior to
> > > the and instruction and it's this load that used to cause a MMU
> > > fault. The load is the very first register access for the TGA card.
> > > I'll see if newbusification makes a difference...
> >

> I did a quick experiment and it looks newbusification will solve the
> problem. Of course this opens pandora's box. The whole frame buffer
> code is unsuitable of being newbusified. By design, I might add. It'll
> be a lot of work. I think a kluge is called for but I'm not entirely
> sure it's something I want or should spend my time on. I need to give
> it some thought...

Hi,

what about the easiest kludge of all: Remove tga from GENERIC?
With tga in GENERIC, FreeBSD is unusable, even if one doesn't want to
use the card. Without it, users would at least be able to boot.
Perhaps adding a fake tga driver which tells the user about the
problems:

---
tga0: <DEC TGA (21030) 2D Graphics Accelerator> mem
0x88000000-0x8fffffff irq 9 at device 13.0 on pci0
tga0: WARNING: TGA support disabled, it is broken. See
freebsd-alpha at freebsd.org
---

My 2cents,
Andreas