Alpha lx164 from Alphabios to SRM

Josh Tolbert hemi at puresimplicity.net
Sun Oct 31 00:10:20 PDT 2004

On Sat, Oct 30, 2004 at 11:16:35PM -0700, David O'Brien wrote:
> On Fri, Oct 29, 2004 at 03:19:09PM -0000, jalovell at knology.net wrote:
> > I know this must have been gone over so many times, but I don't know how to
> > search the mailing list archive to find the answer.  OK I just aquired a
> > 164lx setup and it previously had windows NT so it was running alphabios.
> > Well, I found out what I have to do is get SRM console on, so I read
> > instructions and download the firmware program, renaming it to fwupdate.exe
>
> I'm not sure you have to update the firmware on a 164LX.  I don't recall
> what I did on mine, but I think the ROM might be big enough that it has
> both AlphaBIOS and SRM in it.  Did you try switching to SRM in the
> AlphaBIOS configuration menus?

PC164LX's firmware isn't big enough to hold both AlphaBIOS and SRM. He'll have
to switch to SRM.

I don't remember the procedure I used to switch mine from AlphaBIOS to SRM; I
just know it took a lot of voodoo and swearing. Oh, and mine defaulted to a
serial console once the SRM did get installed and banging on the keyboard
didn't make it recognize the presence of a hardware console.

Good luck,
Josh
--
Josh Tolbert
hemi at puresimplicity.net  ||  http://www.puresimplicity.net/~hemi/

If your sysadmin's not being fascist, you're paying him too much.
   --Sam Greenfield