AS1000A with Mylex DAC960 RAID-5 as only disk

randall272-fbsd at yahoo.com randall272-fbsd at yahoo.com
Sun Oct 17 04:26:43 PDT 2004

--- David O'Brien <obrien at freebsd.org> wrote:

> On Sat, Oct 16, 2004 at 02:31:46PM -0700, randall272-fbsd at yahoo.com wrote:
> > With 5.1 /stand/sysinstall does not list mlxd0 as device to disklable
>
> Don't use /stand/sysinstall.  It is a wart on our that it even exists in
> 5.x.  Use /usr/sbin/sysinstall.  Depending on when you first installed
> FreeBSD on your AS1000, /stand/sysinstall could be from 4.x and could
> give you problems.
>
> --
> -- David  (obrien at FreeBSD.org)

I don't know if /stand/sysinstall was the one I used initially or not, I just
booted the 5.1-RELEASE CD-ROM and used whatever came up.  This was both during
the sucessful and failed attemps to label the mlxd0.

My day's work consisted of

1) find seven 4GB storageworks packs that are OK
2) go out to buy floppies since I couldn't find an undamaged one
3) write out the ra200rcu.exe ra200fl.exe and ra200srl.exe to a floppy
4) run the arc firmware and use it to run ra200rcu.exe
5) build RAID-5 device for hours-and-hours
6) boot 5.3-BETA7 and watch it panic
7) boot 5.1-RELEASE CD-ROM #1 and watch it fail to list mlxd0 as a disk
8) boot 5.1-RELEASE CD-ROM #2 and manually use bsdlabel, etc.
9) discover that CD-ROM #1 started admitting mlxd0 could be partitioned.
10) install 5.1-RELEASE
11) cvs RELENG_5
12) make buildworld

I woke up this morning and made a stripped-down GENERIC and started "make
kernel" on it.