6.0 on Alpha

Ruslan Ermilov ru at freebsd.org
Sun Aug 29 07:55:33 PDT 2004

On Sun, Aug 29, 2004 at 11:45:30AM +0200, Sten Spans wrote:
> On Fri, 27 Aug 2004, [iso-8859-1] Dag-Erling Sm?rgrav wrote:
>
> > des at des.no (Dag-Erling Sm?rgrav) writes:
> > > PWS 600au, yesterday's sources.  The new loader runs fine, but the new
> > > kernel won't boot with either the old or the new loader.
> >
> > For good measure, I tested a freshly-built GENERIC kernel as well.  It
> > just hangs:
> >
> > > OK boot GENERIC -s
> > > /boot/GENERIC/kernel data=0x54cd70+0x4d140 syms=[0x8+0x62bb0+0x8+0x519c5]
> > > Entering /boot/GENERIC/kernel at 0xfffffc0000347050...
> >
> > No "unexpected exception/interrupt", I had to power-cycle the box.
>
> I experienced the same sympthoms when installkernel gave me a
> new kernel, but no device.hints, which is required for the new
> serial console code in 5.3.
>
> You're probably fighting different daemons, but letting people
> know that they need device.hinsts on alpha to get 5.3 booting
> properly would be handy.
>
> It's on the mailinglist now for starters :).

You probably mean that you forgot to update your /boot/device.hints,
because the existence of /boot/device.hints is already checked by
the kernel-install ("installkernel" in the src/Makefile spelling)
target:

: if [ ! -f /boot/device.hints ] ; then  echo "You must set up a /boot/device.hints file first." ;  exit 1 ;  fi
: if [ x"`grep device.hints /boot/defaults/loader.conf /boot/loader.conf`" = "x" ]; then  echo "You must activate /boot/device.hints in loader.conf." ;  exit 1 ;  fi

This is, by the way, is covered by the 20040710 UPDATING entry:

: The console initialization on Alpha has been reworked and is now
: identical to other platforms. This means that the hardcoding of
: the serial console and the debug port has been removed. As such,
: hints are now required for the sio(4) driver to become a console
: or debug port. The NO_SIO option has been decommissioned because
: of this.

I don't use mergemaster(8) personally, I use the old way of
updating /etc and other stuff:

	cd /usr/src/etc
	dir=/var/tmp/`date +%Y%m%d`
	mkdir -p $dir
	make distrib-dirs distribution DESTDIR=$dir

and merging manually, using diff(1) with the saved output from
the previous such run.

But I specifically made the "distribution" target in
src/etc/Makefile install the device.hints file, in a hope that
mergemaster(8) will pick it up.  Is it not the case?

: revision 1.326
: date: 2004/03/14 17:18:39;  author: ru;  state: Exp;  lines: +3 -3
: I believe most of /boot/device.hints out there are based (if not
: identical) on GENERIC.hints, hence the following change:
:
: Moved the creation of /boot/device.hints where it belongs.  This
: should aid in merging GENERIC.hints changes to /boot/device.hints,
: using mergemaster(8) or a similar approach.

Ah, it looks like mergemaster(8) only cares about updating /etc,
which is bad.  :-(

This means that the following files will never be updated by
mergemaster(8):

	/COPYRIGHT
	/boot/device.hints
	/root/.cshrc
	/root/.k5login
	/root/.login
	/root/.profile

Doug, can you fix mergemaster(8) to care about updating at
least /COPYRIGHT, /boot, and /root?  That would be very handy.

Cheers,
--
Ruslan Ermilov
ru at FreeBSD.org