Recovering from b0rked loader?

Philip Paeps philip at freebsd.org
Thu Aug 26 02:06:55 PDT 2004

Last week, while I was on holiday, one of my AlphaStations (which builds
-current worlds and kernels periodically) managed to build a loader while it
was broken.  I'm wondering about how I would best go about getting it working
again.

This is how it dies:

 (boot dka100.1.0.9.0 -flags A)
 [...]
 jumping to bootstrap code
 \
 halted CPU 0

 halt code = 2
 kernel stack not valid halt
 PC = 0
 boot failure

I thought about booting with a bootonly cdrom, but it appears the loader on
the 5.3-BETA1 image (I haven't tested any others) only knows about the disk
it's been booted from, not about other disks in the machine:

  FreeBSD/alpha SRM CD9660 boot, Revision 1.2
  (root at ds10.wbnet, Mon Aug 23 08:53:04 UTC 2004)
  [...]
  OK lsdev
  disk devices:
      disk0:   SRM drive SCSI 0 9 0 6 600 0 0

Any hints?  I'd prefer not to have to go through a clean install.  I have
backups, but they're tedious :-)

Thanks!

 - Philip

--
Philip Paeps                                    Please don't Cc me, I am
philip at freebsd.org                               subscribed to the list.

  BOFH Excuse #116:
    the real ttys became pseudo ttys and vice-versa.