Netbooting 4.8

Greg Lewis glewis at misty.eyesbeyond.com
Wed Aug 27 23:35:17 PDT 2003

Hi all,

Having given up cross-compiling in my quest to netboot my EB164 I gained
access to an Alpha running 4.8 and compiled a kernel with the following

options         BOOTP
options         BOOTP_NFSROOT
options         BOOTP_WIRED_TO=de0

I've also tried kernels with and without:

options         BOOTP_NFSV3
options         BOOTP_COMPAT

just to be thorough with no change on the result.  The machine gets the
netboot binary ok via tftp, although the last few lines of that boot
stage look a little fishy:

net_open: server addr: 10.0.0.1
net_open: server path: /diskless/FreeBSD/alpha/4.8
Loader version 0.3+ required
Aborted!
start not found

However, the kernel proceeds to boot and gets right to the point where it
tries to mount its root file system.  I then see:

mounting root from nfs:10.0.0.1:/diskless/FreeBSD/alpha/4.8
missing device name
setrootbyname failed
bootpc_init: wired to interface 'de0'
Sending DHCP discover packet from interface de0 (00:00:f8:06:5f:f3)
DHCP/BOOTP timeout for server 255.255.255.255

and the last line just repeats ad infinitum.

I've got this machine netbooting NetBSD 1.6.1 and OpenBSD 3.3 so I know
it can netboot :).  Any pointers as to what I may need to configure
differently would be appreciated.  Also, if someone out there is
netbooting 4.8 at the moment, I'd love to compare your configuration
to mine and see if I can't find the problem that way.

Greg Lewis                          Email   : glewis at eyesbeyond.com