Problem with ld-elf.so: program does not launch.

Marcel Moolenaar marcel at xcllnt.net
Sat Aug 9 14:53:53 PDT 2003

On Sat, Aug 09, 2003 at 10:51:49PM +0200, Thierry Thomas wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I have ported metis-edf (cad/metis-edf) to FreeBSD, it runs fine on
> i386, but it aborts on alpha. On Bento, the log is at
> <http://bento.freebsd.org/errorlogs/alpha-4-latest/metis-edf-3.log>.

Try linking using cc(1) instead of ld(1). If you use ld(1)
directly, you better know what you're doing. Something like:

	cc -v -o ../onmetis.exe onmetis.o io.o smbfactor.o ecri11.o lect11.o lect00.o -lmetis -lm -lg2c

The -v option should also tell you what you need on the ld(1)
line and in what order if you still want or need to use ld(1)
directly.

Another cause can be that ld-elf.so.1 doesn't handle a particular
relocation yet, but fails to abort. This is more tricky to debug
if you don't have root and/or console access to the machine.

HTH,

 Marcel Moolenaar	  USPA: A-39004		 marcel at xcllnt.net