UW2 cards don't like to run at UW2?

Josh Tolbert hemi at just.puresimplicity.net
Thu Aug 7 21:54:55 PDT 2003

Hello,

In my ongoing quest to get my Alpha to perform better I pickec up
two LSI22902 dual-channel SCSI cards from SCSI4ME.com for $14 each.
The LSI22902s are essentially the same as the old SYM22910 (both
are dual-channel, but the 902 is lacking one connector for each
channel either internally or externally) I picked up a while back
but seemed flaky, so I decided to give the LSI22902 a try. I got
the card, tossed it in the Alpha (a PC164LX-based machine) and away
it went. The card is bootable and all, but FreeBSD (5.1) only sees
it as a UW card. The *exact* same setup (card, cable and drives)
in an x86 machine runs at UW2 (80M/s) quite nicely...Why doesn't
it in the Alpha and is there any way to change this behavior?  I'd
much rather my UW2 card run at UW2 than at UW. Both the SYM22910
and LSI22902 (both 896 chips) exhibit this behavior, but unfortunately
those are the only two datapoints I can provide. Any ideas?

Thanks again,

Josh