last stable alpha kernel?

Andrew Gallatin gallatin at cs.duke.edu
Wed Aug 6 08:15:28 PDT 2003

Marcel Moolenaar writes:
 > On Tue, Aug 05, 2003 at 02:12:06PM -0400, Andrew Gallatin wrote:
 > >
 > > FWIW, here are the results I have for j16 buildworlds on UP alpha so far:
 >
 > *snip*
 >
 > > july22: fault on nofault entry panic
 >
 > We have the fault on nofault entry panic on ia64 as well. I don't
 > know when I have time to look at ia64, but I keep an eye on alpha
 > when I trace it down. I suspect the cause is roughly identical
 > (ia64 pmap was derived from alpha pmap).

Do you know when they started?  My current results are as follows:
(all dates relative to GMT-0400)

june1: OK
june7: OK
june10: OK
june12: system lockup
june14: system lockup
june28: gcc ICE, system lockup
july22: fault on nofault entry panic
aug5: fault on nofault entry panic

I have no idea if the lockup problem is orthogonal to the pmap problem
or not.  Unfortunately, obrien's FBSDID changes thrashed the src tree
between june10 and june12 and make getting diffs very painful.  For
all I know, the lockup was fixed and the pmap problem is new.

So I'm thinking about re-starting the search to see if I can find where
the lockup changes to a fault on nofault panic.   At least this makes
things quicker, as the lockups and/or panics happen quickly.

If you have any advice, please don't be shy ;)

Drew