Running FreeBSD on Digital Server 5305

Anthony O'Meara atom at atom.no-ip.org
Tue Aug 5 22:04:11 PDT 2003

----- Original Message -----
From: "David O'Brien" <dev-null at NUXI.com>
To: "Anthony O'Meara" <atom at atom.no-ip.org>
Cc: <freebsd-alpha at freebsd.org>
Sent: Wednesday, August 06, 2003 4:13 PM
Subject: Re: Running FreeBSD on Digital Server 5305

> On Wed, Aug 06, 2003 at 03:32:40PM +1200, Anthony O'Meara wrote:
> > Has anyone got Digital Server 5305 working with any version of FreeBSD?
> >
> > At first I had assumed it was problems with the RAID controller,
> > but I have now tried several different RAID and SCSI controllers, and
> > several SCSI disks yet FreeBSD will not install,
> > it cant find the disks or it sees them but wont let me partition them or
(in
> > the case of the Mylex RAID controller) I need to load the mlx driver
from
> > the drivers.flp but FreeBSD cant find the floppy drive but I have just
> > booted from the floppy!
> >
> > Can anyone help?
>
> Please post in full details how you cannot get FreeBSD installed and
> booting on your DS 5305.  Including a console log of kernel output and
> any error messages.

I'll explain the Mylex controller attempted
The system (Digital Server 5305) has the lastest firmware

The Mylex RAID controller is configured with RAID 5 array and its working
fine,
"b dva0" - loading FreeBSD 5.0 Alpha from floppy (I tried 4.8 but it was
explained that it prob wouldnt work due to it not properly supporting
multiple hoses (I/O busses))

it loads kern.flp then mfsroot.flp fine
The systems asks if I want to load any other modules - I select yes
I need to load the mlx module for the Mylex RAID controller to work
BUT FreeBSD install then says it cant find any floppy drives but ive just
loaded kern and mfsroot off it

Also how do I get the console log of kernel output?

Thanks
Anthony