Floppies for ALPHA

David O'Brien obrien at freebsd.org
Sat Aug 2 18:36:38 PDT 2003

On Thu, Jul 31, 2003 at 12:23:36AM +0200, Wilko Bulte wrote:
> Well... if need be. But read the mail on my experiment with a dd of the
> miniinst.iso onto a harddisk.

This is more or less what I've been talking about.
5.1-RELEASE-alpha-miniinst.iso is 236M, which is way too big.

If you take a 4.x boot.flp, you should also be able to dd that onto a
SCSI disk and boot it.  So what we need is an image that conatains only a
minimal memory filesystem /, a full GENERIC kernel, and full set of
modules.  This image will come in under 8MB.

--
-- David  (obrien at FreeBSD.org)