OpenAFS on FreeBSD 8.1

Jan Henrik Sylvester me at janh.de
Fri Jul 23 13:10:43 UTC 2010

On 07/23/2010 12:30, Jan Henrik Sylvester wrote:
> I listed a few directories without blocks for longer periods of time as
> with my last testing. Good. Copying a huge file from AFS was terribly
> slow (even for my DSL connection), but it steadily progressed and I was
> able to abort it without deadlocking or crashing. Copying a 16MB file to
> AFS blocked a parallel "ls -l" on the same directory I was copying to,
> but it eventually finished. The file was not corrupted. Great.

I did more testing from University to both of the AFS' I had been
testing before. Copying a few MB from AFS and copying a 16MB file to AFS
was both fine (showing 6MB/s while copying).

Trying to copy a 512MB file to AFS locked all AFS after two seconds that
it was showing copy rates of 40MB/s (while the network is only
100Mbit/s). After increasing the AFS cache size to 512MB, almost all of
the file got copied before AFS would lock. With a cache of 1GB, the file
got copied without a deadlock or corruption. (All this is on MP, I have
not tried to disable all but one core.)

Rebooting the machine after having done nothing but the successful copy
of the 512MB file, I got:
cpuid = 3; apic id = 05
fault virtual address   = 0x290
fault code              = supervisor read data, page not present
instruction pointer     = 0x20:0xffffffff805959ae
stack pointer           = 0x28:0xffffff807500c6c0
frame pointer           = 0x28:0xffffff807500c6e0
code segment            = base 0x0, limit 0xfffff, type 0x1b
                         = DPL 0, pres 1, long 1, def32 0, gran 1
processor eflags        = interrupt enabled, resume, IOPL = 0
current process         = 1944 (afsd)
trap number             = 12
panic: page fault
cpuid = 3

Overall, the only problems I got during my tests were copying files
larger than the cache size and shutting down afsd. So far, AFS seems to
become usable for me (even on MP).

Thanks again,
Jan Henrik