AFS ... or equivalent ...

Jason C. Wells jcw at highperformance.net
Sun Jan 13 21:44:57 PST 2008

Marc G. Fournier wrote:

>   Does anyone know if there is any serious work being done to get AFS working
> under FreeBSD?  I have a large project that I'm working on that AFS (or
> something equivalent) would be *very* useful for, but we're trying to keep it
> as FreeBSD-pure as possible ...

Yes.  Please get in touch with any of the people CC'ed in this list.  I
believe Matt Benjamin is the one who is actually getting serious on this
project.  Patches were even mentioned in a recent email.  I recall Jim
Rees is knowledgeable on AFS.  I also think one Derrick J. Brashear was
interested/knowledgeable too, but I don't have his address handy.  If I
misrepesented anyone please feel free to correct me.

Matt, if you do not know Marc, look up Postgresql.  Marc is the port
maintainer for postgresql as well as a postgres developer. (iirc)

Me, I am just a user who put together an ugly, ugly little FreeBSD port
a long time ago in the hope that it would inspire some people who were
qualified to do real work to pick it up and run with it.

There are a couple mailing lists suitable for FreeBSD porting
discussions.  One is run by the OpenAFS people and the other is run by
FreeBSD people.

Sorry for the spam and cross posts. It seems like the interest in
OpenAFS on FreeBSD is building.  I hope that this message will put the
right people in touch with each other and that maybe a concerted effort
to port OpenAFS to FreeBSD will arise.

Later,
Jason