leveraging FOSS, especially FreeBSD

Don Wilde dwilde1 at gmail.com
Mon Sep 28 18:29:24 UTC 2009

Dag-Erling, I remember you quite well as a core developer, so I don't
doubt that your knowledge of history is better than mine. Thank you
both for the corrections.

AFA pitchers of beer, it was meant as a friendly dig on an insider's
list and not meant as disrespect for Kirk's achievements, which have
far more to do with all of us being here today than I do. :D

2009/9/28 Dag-Erling Smørgrav <des at des.no>:
> Don Wilde <dwilde1 at gmail.com> writes:
>> What is incorrect, Julian?
>
> Pretty much everything about the lawsuit.
>
> http://oreilly.com/catalog/opensources/book/kirkmck.html
> http://www.groklaw.net/pdf/USLsettlement.pdf
>
> I found the phrase "everything developed before 1970" particularly
> amusing, as it translates to approximately zero, plus or minus zero.
>
> Oh, and pretty much everything else as well.
>
> The practice of sharing source code without compensation (and the term
> "copyleft") can be traced to a hobbyist magazine that later developed
> into Dr Dobb's, and predates 3BSD (1BSD and 2BSD were only add-ons, not
> OS distributions) by about five years.  The first explicit discussion of
> free software as such was in an article published in the July 1976 issue
> of SIGPLAN in reaction to Bill Gate's (in)famous "open letter".  The
> first organized F/OSS movement was, like it or not, the GNU Project
> started by Richard Stallman in 1983.  At that time, BSD was distributed
> only to institutions that already held an AT&T source code license.  The
> network stack was "open sourced" in the late eighties, the rest of the
> system in the early-to-mid nineties.
>
>> He was drinking beer by the pitcher, so I'm sure he was more
>> forthcoming than usual.
>
> I neither know nor care whether that statement is true, but it's not a
> particularly nice thing to say about anyone.
>
> DES
> --
> Dag-Erling Smørgrav - des at des.no

--