why no Oracle on FreeBSD ?

Chris Rees utisoft at googlemail.com
Sun Sep 27 19:54:29 UTC 2009

2009/9/25 Saifi Khan <saifi.khan at datasynergy.org>:

>> > i was wondering if there is any technical reason behind this ?
>>
>> Most unlikely. Ask Oracle & tell advocacy@ what you find out.
>> I'd bet perceived market share & demand as ever, ie Money.
>>

> Hi Julian:
>
> Here is the response on the Oracle forum thread to my posting,
>

> """
> FreeBSD is a kernel not used in any extant operating system with
> the sole exception being Apple's Mac OSX so you are heading,
> full speed ahead, toward disappointment.

And this is where he gives away that he knows nothing about it. In the
first sentence, he shows that he thinks that Mac OS X uses the FreeBSD
kernel. (Which is wrong, in case you were wondering
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Darwin_(operating_system) )

> FreeBSD handles many
> things very differently from the UNIX System 5 standard so you
> can not just kludge your way into this.

What?

> What fascinates me about your request is why you care. FreeBSD
> is going nowhere at a staggeringly fast pace. And to the same
> place as went Oracle Database version 8.0. Obscurity.

What?

> Install Oracle's Enterprise Linux and you will have a real
> operating system in less time than you've spent monitoring this
> thead. And as an additional value it will support the Oracle
> technology stack while you are still young enough to use it.
> """
>
> and
> """
> IF you can match up the system calls, then you can 'make it
> work'.
> """
>
> The relevant  links are
> 1.  http://forums.oracle.com/forums/thread.jspa?threadID=952076&tstart=0
> 2.  http://forums.oracle.com/forums/thread.jspa?threadID=952076&tstart=0
>
> The response seems to suggest that there is some feature used by
> Oracle which is expected from a UNIX Sys 5 std and perhaps
> FreeBSD does not support/have the syscall.
>
> Given the response, What is your analysis of the situation ?
>

> thanks
> Saifi.

This guy replying to your post was a troll, basically. Ignore him, and
concentrate on real Oracle employees for sources. Of course, if this
was an Oracle employee, then you really should think about using some
different software....

Chris