why no Oracle on FreeBSD ?

Julian H. Stacey jhs at berklix.com
Fri Sep 25 13:43:55 UTC 2009

> > Most unlikely. Ask Oracle & tell advocacy@ what you find out.
> > I'd bet perceived market share & demand as ever, ie Money.
>
> Hi Julian:
>
> Here is the response on the Oracle forum thread to my posting,
>
> """
> FreeBSD is a kernel not used in any extant operating system with
> the sole exception being Apple's Mac OSX so you are heading,

> Given the response, What is your analysis of the situation ?

Hi Saifi,
I wrote:
> > Best ask direct of commercial application vendor Oracle.
> > IE wave money under Oracle's nose & ask to purchase what you want.

I meant contact Oracle Inc _Direct_ & ask to purchase licenses for BSD.
Not ask a forum of users including the clueless Oracle user you quoted.

If you only want to buy a few licenses. Oracle probably won't be
interested (unless you convince them you'r a path finder for more
purchasers to come);  ... but on top of Krad's Solaris approach,
if you wanted to try out Oracle, as well as native, you might perhaps
try it on a linux or opensolaris within eg
FreeBSD/branches/-current/ports/emulators/virtualbox/ (if you try
it & get stuck there's an emulators at freebsd list).

Cheers,
Julian
--
Julian Stacey: BSD Unix Linux C Sys Eng Consultants Munich http://berklix.com