EuroBSDCon 2009 pictures

Robert Watson rwatson at FreeBSD.org
Tue Sep 22 21:46:58 UTC 2009

On Tue, 22 Sep 2009, Saifi Khan wrote:

> Thanks, the pictures are awesome.
>
> Did you write any blog/tweet about your experiences ?
>
> How was the interaction and enthusiasm level at the conference ?

Probably in appropriate to generalize, but this was the largest ever FreeBSD
developer summit in .EU (70 or so attendees), and EuroBSDCon came in around
180 attendees, which is up from last year (don't have precise numbers).  Our
conference dinner, sponsored by iXsystems, (photos of Clare college in the
various collections) was sold out at 150 with a waiting list.

We did have some trouble fund-raising for the conference, as a number of
companies we approached reported that they currently had travel/conference
freezes due to the economy.  However, it being a poor economic year that
didn't seem to prevent people from having a good time (although it likely did
limit attendees from further way).

Fairly soon, we should have slides, papers, and audio recordings of many of
the sessions on the UKUUG web site, and it looks like the Karlsruhe folk are
already warming up for EuroBSDCon 2010 :-).

For those of us in the UK, I think this is a good moment to remind ourselves
that there is a lot of BSD-related work, BSD-based companies, and BSD
development in the UK (especially FreeBSD).  I know I chatted with many other
folk from the UK who all basically said "you know, we should do this more
often", so perhaps this will trigger more regular UK-based BSD events!

Robert N M Watson
Computer Laboratory
University of Cambridge