why BSDs got no love

Shane Calimlim shanecalimlim at gmail.com
Wed Dec 23 08:18:27 UTC 2009

+1 to a better installer, graphical or not.

I can practically install FreeBSD blindfolded on the current one, but only
because I've done it so many times.  The first few attempts were extremely
frustrating; the menu flow in the current installer makes little sense --
especially if something goes wrong.  Please keep that in mind, everyone on
this list knows the installer like the back of their hand, but do you
remember the first time(s) you used it?  Know a fairly seasoned linux user
that has never used FreeBSD?  Sit them down at a machine and watch them try
to install it.

First impressions are important!  I won't go into the gui vs non-gui
installer debate, but making the install process as slick as possible is
definitely a good thing.