Future of comp.unix.bsd.freebsd.announce Newsgroup

David Wolfskill david at catwhisker.org
Fri Dec 4 13:28:10 UTC 2009

On Fri, Dec 04, 2009 at 04:41:56PM +1100, John Marshall wrote:
> I suggest that the FreeBSD Project:
>   1. Respond to the MVI proposing a new moderator for the newsgroup;
>   2. Arrange for the freebsd-announce mailing list to be gated to
>      the newsgroup (since that fits the newsgroup's charter).

I haven't paid attention to netnews in several years, so my perspective
may well be biased.

And I haven't actually paid attention to the issues involved in running
a news site for most of the last couple of decades.

But my recollection is that *bidirectional* gateways (news <=> mail) are
rather difficult to "get right" and the consequences of misconfiguration
tend toward "cascade failure."

It would, however, make sense from my perspective if a unidirectional
gateway were set up (mail => news -- note direction!), and the newsgroup
were to become merely a reflector of the mailing list.

In that scenario, it would not be possible to "post" directly the
newsgroup -- and I believe that would be appropriate.

> I am happy to help if necessary but somebody like the -announce mailing
> list moderator is probably more appropriate.  I have never done any
> mail-to-news stuff but I could learn.
>
>  - I mailed jkh@ on 30-Nov and got no response.
>  - I mailed freebsd-www@  on 01-Dec and got no response.

Thank you for your efforts so far.

Peace,
david   (postmaster at freebsd.org hat lying about nearby)
David H. Wolfskill				david at catwhisker.org
Depriving a girl or boy of an opportunity for education is evil.