Help with a presentation.

Frank Mitchell mitchell at wyatt672earp.force9.co.uk
Thu Apr 17 17:41:34 UTC 2008

Hi FreeBSD Advocates:

I used to give talks about computers among other things, so maybe I can
contribute. Obviously the usual approach is to talk about a series of slides.
But you don't need a Slide Projector if you can overcome the usual Stage
Fright.

One useful technique for organising your material is the Spider-Chart. A bloke
named Tony Buzan wrote books about these, calling them Mind-Maps or
Brain-Patterns, but the idea is much older. You start with a large sheet of
paper, like a double-spread of Line-Printer output, and you write the central
theme in the centre. Then you draw lines branching out to the main topics,
then further branches out to further associated ideas, with interconnecting
links between them. After collecting your thoughts this way you organise them
into a sequential list for your Computer Talk.

The Spider-Chart is ideal for a subject like Computing, because the more
abstract the material is, the better it works. It's also good in Group
Discussions. If everybody draws up a Spider-Chart you get an instant picture
of the different perspectives people have on a subject.

Your talk can become alot simpler if you encourage Audience Participation.
Just read a brief Introduction or Summary and ask whether anybody has any
questions already. It's alot less daunting to talk to a single member of the
audience than to address the whole crowd simultaneously. You may find the
whole occasion takes on a life of its own, with the audience doing half your
talk for you. Obviously you need an excuse for questions you can't answer,
like explaining you're also researching what people want to know about. You
can note down on all the topics you didn't think of and check them out for
your next presentation.

You still need to go back to your prepared notes occasionally when the debate
dies away. You can find alot of your material has been covered and you need
to pick out the bits nobody thought of yet. Just go through the next topic
briefly and ask if there are any more questions again. You need this feedback
anyway, otherwise you risk going on without being understood by half your
audience. If there is any misunderstanding, that gives you more stuff to
discuss.  At the end you can discover that you kept people interested for
three hours and only used half your material.

Faictz Ce Que Vouldras: Frank Mitchell