[alerts@infosecnews.org: [ISN] Top Ten Reasons Why Ubuntu, Is Best for Enterprise Use]

David Naylor blackdragon at highveldmail.co.za
Wed Nov 21 10:58:15 PST 2007

I really, really must be missing something.  Could someone please
explain this to me:
Why use open source if you do not even compile from source.  All Linux
distributions (with the exception of Gentoo which was inspired by
FreeBSD) distributes binary packages for primary consumption.  What is
the difference between that and using Windows binary programs?  In
both cases the source code does not take a part...

I must admit that FreeBSD does distribute binary packages however it
is much easier (both to compile and stay updated) to use Ports.  I
have not touched a binary package since RELENG_6_0, everything is now
compiled.  I get all the software I want with all the options I wish
to have and all of it compiles and runs without a problem (even with
-O2 set :-)

Thank you for a great unified project: FreeBSD

Have a good day

David

P.S. Did I mention that the FreeBSD kernel does compile without a
problem, the Linux kernel (even using GENERIC or the equivalent) never
compiled cleanly and sometimes did not even run!!!