[alerts@infosecnews.org: [ISN] Top Ten Reasons Why Ubuntu, Is Best for Enterprise Use]

Sdävtaker sdavtaker at gmail.com
Tue Nov 20 14:00:55 PST 2007

freebsd-advocacy-request at freebsd.org escribió:

> On Mon, 19 Nov 2007, Gregory W. MacPherson wrote:
>> > Perhaps if the *BSD community would mirror some of these behaviors then
>> > *BSD (which technically is superior to an LINUX) would receive this type
>> > of press. Perhaps...but not likely.
>
> Let's discuss this here... My comments below. I remove the original
> content since I don't have permission to redistribute it.

I will add some comments...

>> > 1. Users Love It
>
> FreeBSD doesn't offer a "fresh but familiar GUI environment" like Ubuntu
> in its default install. Different ouside projects compete to do this with
> different goals.

I tried it, i didnt love it... Actually, it only ran in 1 PC at my
office, all others said "segmentation fault, kernel panic" because Via
micros are not supported (We got those in the desktops to save money...).

>> > 2. The Platform Has Excellent Support
>
> No single company backs FreeBSD and there is no official source of
> commercial FreeBSD support contracts. (By the way, I have been providing
> professional FreeBSD contracts and support for over seven years.)

There is no companies to Back FreeBSD, but there is a lot of people
backing *BSD projects and giving *BSD paid support.
Plus, you got some big communities of mailling lists and stuff to ask.

>> > 3. Cost Savings
>
> Of course FreeBSD is free. As for SLA, see #2 above.

As I see it, FreeBSD is even more free than Ubuntu since the BSD
license, I code all my projects under that kind of license, no
restrictions on the coding merge, GNU is too imperialist, "one day
everything will be GNU, becouse we got a damn recursive license"

>> > 4. A Superlative Security Record
>
> What studies? How can FreeBSD be evaluated by same studies? (Or has it?)
>
> FreeBSD can say same (s/Linux/BSD Unix/).

I wasnt going to reply this mail until i had read this one, oh man, i
couldnt contain my laugh!!!!
Linux based distribution rated number one on security? did u try do the
test with OpenBSD, DragonFly or even Darwin? come on...
Who was in that test? windows, linux and BeOS(not mantained since 5
years ago)?

>> > 5. Frictionless Deployment
>
> Depends on your needs. FreeBSD installs very fast and easy for many needs.
> For other needs, it is very slow and tedious (depending on
> knowledge/experience). See #1.
>
> Also this makes no sense to me. Different environments for testing,
> development and production to me usually has nothing to do with license
> fees.

Only thing becouse it is cheapa is becouse they dont code it, it is a
big bag with a lot of softwares from other projects, a big config setup
and a bootable CD, you can run PCBSD and you will have something like
that too.

>> > 6. A Huge Selection of Applications and Tools
>
> FreeBSD also has huge collection of packages. In Ubuntu (Debian) many
> software suites are divided up into multiple packages (clients, servers,
> development headers, shared libraries, documentation, etc.).
>
> FreeBSD's default install is very light so is a good starting point for
> many.

What operating system doesnt have it? Minix?

>> > 7. Thin Client Joy
>
> FreeBSD can be a thin client and can be a thin client server.

Cool you got an X-server... who doesnt?

>> > 8. Unleash Your IT Talent
>
> FreeBSD is open source and free and has community participation and
> collaboration. The source code and documentation changes can easily be
> evaluated.
>
>> > 9. Access A Whole New Skills Pool

?

Oh I see... They talking about linux coming to free the world...
Just propaganda.

>> > 10. Predictable Releases
>
> Many like a consistent schedule for new releases. FreeBSD also has
> policies on how long to maintain previous releases. Note that FreeBSD base
> and ports have different update policies. Depending on how FreeBSD
> updates are done, it can be easy.

100% agree.

>   Jeremy C. Reed

Damian