BSDstats Statistics for Sept, 2007 ... 12 769 Hosts Reported In

Miguel Lopes Santos Ramos miguel at anjos.strangled.net
Tue Nov 6 09:38:24 PST 2007

> From scrappy at freebsd.org  Thu Nov  1 10:55:05 2007
>
> > There's at least one FreeBSD missing from your list, Gentoo/FreeBSD.
>
> Is there a way of differentiating Gentoo/kFreeBSD from Debian/kFreeBSD?

I'm not sure I understand what you mean.

If you're asking what's the best way of an unknowing program to distinguish
where it is running, then I don't know.
Since Debian and Gentoo are such different distributions, there should be lots
of different files characteristic to either.

The files which stand out more clearly in Gentoo are those related to portage,
the port maintenance utility (which must have been inspired by FreeBSD ports) and
the system profile, /etc/make.profile.

Debian/kFreeBSD and Gentoo/FreeBSD are supposed to be quite different projects,
since kFreeBSD is based on the porting of glibc to FreeBSD, and Gentoo/FreeBSD
uses FreeBSD libc.

I'd be curious to know what uname -a returns on Gentoo/FreeBSD. I don't have it
installed.
I deployed a lot of Gentoos at work because I didn't want to force people into
FreeBSD, but I'm not an administration or distro expert.

If bsdports was installed using an ebuild (the equivalent of a FreeBSD port),
there would be no further need for distinction.

If you mean to introduce this distinction and port bsdstats to Gentoo/FreeBSD
and there's any more information I can provide you, I'd be glad to assist.

Miguel