Current Gentoo user

Paul Waring paul at xk7.net
Thu Dec 13 01:15:22 PST 2007

On Wed, Dec 12, 2007 at 09:00:52PM -0800, Grant wrote:
> It has recently come to my attention that FreeBSD is "similar" to
> Gentoo Linux.  I've been a Gentoo user for about 5 years and I love
> the concept, but it feels like the project is slowing down.  I like to
> learn/use/know one OS for server, media system, laptop, router, etc.
> How would you compare the two OSes?

Gentoo isn't really an operating system, it's a Linux distribution - the
only way in which it differs from other distributions (say Debian) is in
its package management. The project has slowed down noticeably over the
past few years (I used to be more involved than I am now and I've
watched the decline), but I don't think that has anything to do with
FreeBSD.

I suppose if you wanted to do a comparison you could look at hardware
compatibility (more important for laptops than servers, as last time I
tried FreeBSD wouldn't even boot on my laptop, but it doesn't matter as
much for servers as you won't have lots of fancy graphics cards to
support for example) and ease of installation/use of default setup. The
software available is largely the same - you can install OpenOffice on
both distributions, run all popular server software etc., there isn't
really that much to choose between them as a user in my opinion.

Paul

--
Paul Waring
http://www.pwaring.com