The sorry state of open source today

Radu-Cristian FOTESCU beranger5ca at yahoo.ca
Fri Apr 20 08:08:07 UTC 2007

--- Tom Rhodes <trhodes at FreeBSD.org> wrote:
> What was it that you said then?  I actually cannot remember.

Page 7: "Except for the *BSD family, whose members are either _*_backed_*_ by
501(c)(3) non-profit organizations like The FreeBSD Foundation or the NetBSD
Project, or the task of individuals like Theo de Raadt for OpenBSD and Matt
Dillon for DragonFly BSD (by the way, your donations to either of them are
appreciated), the 500+ Linux distributions fall roughly into two main
categories: the vast majority of the distributions are made by the
enthusiasts, for the enthusiasts, and a given number of them are mainstream
distros, supposed to be trustworthy and polished enough to satisfy both the
corporate-minded user and the home user."

Backed != controlled.

> Next time write
> about dogs if you don't want all the attention.  ;)

Nay, because I love cats, and guess who is a cat lover too? ;-)

OK, moving on, I am back to better feelings now. The next week I have to
migrate my home Linux installations to FreeBSD and NetBSD. I have four
different Linhooks distros currently.

Cheers,
R-C