Media coordinator? [was: Re: ZFS committed to the FreeBSD base. (fwd)]

Sam Lawrance boris at brooknet.com.au
Sun Apr 8 12:50:33 UTC 2007

On 06/04/2007, at 7:51 PM, Robert Watson wrote:

> Now would be a great time to do some articles on this, speaking of
> which. :-) Pawel's e-mail doesn't make a great start for an
> advocacy piece because it fails to say what's good/important about
> ZFS, so the first task is to figure that out and construct a news
> article along these lines.  For example, it has volume-management,
> self-healing, and the word "enterprise" can be tossed in easily.

Would it be worthwhile to form a "media coordinator" role?  I can
think of two areas of value for this role: announcement coordination
and media liaison.

Announcement coordination would be provided as a service to our
developers and the community.  For example, before committing or
MFC'ing some hot new feature, people can ask the media coordinator
for assistance with the announcement.  This might involve helping to
draft the primary announcement, writing articles for submission to
news sites, the sort of information described above by Robert.  The
work can be delegated, the key is simply to provide all the right
information to the right people and channels when an announcement is
made.

Media liaison is around providing a single point of contact for media
requests, to make it easier for people unfamiliar with the project to
find their way to the right people and resources.  Maybe this extends
to writing articles (or finding people to do so), and submitting them
to journals or magazines.

I'm sure there are other areas of value.  The two points above just
spring to mind based on recent messages to advocacy at .

Any thoughts on this?