FreeBSD not popular in Asia?

Marc G. Fournier scrappy at freebsd.org
Tue Sep 19 10:29:47 PDT 2006

On Fri, 15 Sep 2006, Oliver Fromme wrote:

> Marc G. Fournier <scrappy at freebsd.org> wrote:
> > At only 5000 hosts, I wouldn't be basing any decisions anyway ... I'd like
> > to see 10x that number, and consistently, every month before reading *too*
> > much into them ...
> >
> > Its only been running about 30 days so far, so @ 5k hosts so far, and most
> > of those *since* Sept 1st, it shouldn't take us too long ...
>
> By the way, I've got a small question.  Does the database
> throw all entries away at the end of each month, and start
> all over again with zero entries?  Or is each entry expired
> after a certain time has elapsed (31 days or whatever)?

Neither ... the month that the report was submitted for has one entry for
host ... we'll be able to graph stuff like growht in # of reporting hosts
and such ...

> I just noticed that "PC-BSD" is mentioned as separate OS in the
> statistics now.  I think it would be better to count it for FreeBSD
> instead, because PC-BSD (similar to FreeSBIE) is just a standard FreeBSD
> kernel + userland, plus some gadgets on top (GUI installer or live FS,
> respectively).

The 'plus some gadgets on top' is, IMHO, important ... it shows ppl are
adopting BSD, but that, for them, those 'gadgets' are important for the
deployment ...

----