Why FreeBSD sucks

kevlar Hodge-Podge kevlar_t_hodgepodge at hotmail.com
Thu Oct 26 06:25:47 UTC 2006

Sorry to reply twice, not sure if that’s really annoying to people or if I’m
just being paranoid.

This post actually did get me thinking about a longtime frustration with one
aspect of the whole Linux vs. UNIX thing. First let me say that I’m a real
novice user so I hope this isn't something that has been talked to death and
resolved.

One problem when comparing FreeBSD to most of the Linux distributions is
that they are in fact, distributions of an operating system and FreeBSD is
an operating system. So when you look at fedora for example the fedora team
can choose to use GNOME over other desktop environments, and bundle commonly
used software like firefox and openoffice. When fedora does this it is a
very reasonable and responsible thing for them to do, as they are marketing
themselves toward the desktop world. On the other hand FreeBSD can not make
those same decisions, and if they did it would be counter productive to all
their users, even those currently using GNOME, firefox and openoffice. Until
very recently the comparison (from a PC end user’s point of view) of FreeBSD
vs. any Linux was apples and oranges. Now we have pcbsd, desktopbsd and a
few others that are really ‘distributions’ in the same fashion as fedora is.

Does anyone have suggestions for  how a non-technical user of FreeBSD can
help contribute to the community with a focus on the “distributions”? Is
there anyone doing side by side comparisons of these packaged solutions that
use FreeBSD?

Thanks,
Kevin (kevlar)