CDROM-Artwork

Julian H. Stacey jhs at flat.berklix.net
Mon Oct 23 15:00:56 UTC 2006

Oliver Fromme wrote:
> Deb Goodkin wrote:
>  > [...]
>  > 2. In the description on the back of the DVD case and CD sleeve, only
>  > use the "r in circle" for the first use of the FreeBSD mark. You can
>  > probably do the same with Unix.
>
> No, that will be insufficient.  It is required to add an
> attribution, according to The Open Group which is the owner
> of the UNIX trademark.  Note that it has to be spelled
> "UNIX" (all upper case); any other spellings ("Unix",
> "unix", "UN*X" etc) are considered an infringment of the
> trademark, except in private communications.
>
> I know a company who once had legal trouble with The Open
> Group because of incorrect usage of the UNIX trademark on
> their web pages.  So this should be taken serious.
>
> The Open Group has a detailed explanation of the usage
> guidelines for their trademarks (including UNIX) here:
>
> http://www.opengroup.org/registration/tmug.pdf
>
> There's also a quick and simple overview here:
>
> http://www.opengroup.org/trademarks.htm
>
> Best regards
>    Oliver

To confirm upper case:
  Bell Systems Technical Journal July-Aug 1978 Vol 57, No 6, Part
  2, Page 1899 has it all capitals.  All through the book, the .rof
  macro generating the automatic footer does it as caps.  Bell sold
  Unix through a tedious chain of companies to whoever owns it this week.
Whether trademark & the code copyright were always sold in strict
tandem I never bothered to track. There were also the leaked Lyons
V6 books & things such as the SUID patent that moved asynchronously
from Bell straight to public domain. Heaven protect us from `rights'
nightmares, especially software patents nightmares of the future !

--
Julian Stacey.  BSD Unix C Net Consultancy, Munich/Muenchen  http://berklix.com
Mail Ascii, not HTML.		Ihr Rauch = mein allergischer Kopfschmerz.