EV1 Servers makes me sick

telmnstr at 757.org telmnstr at 757.org
Tue Oct 3 13:41:50 PDT 2006

> I manage a rather large instalation for a site that, so far, is all FreeBSD
> based. Becouse of certain laking features however I have been looking at
> various Linux versions. I have to say that to anyone who dis's the
> FreeBSD install script, run off and install Gentoo. As for the other distro
> 's, after using FreeBSD for so long, I have to say I find it a little disturbing
> to install an OS and like it or not, get everything including the kitchen sink
> installed.

Agreed! I really like the FreeBSD install system, then again, I'm used to
it. I hate the VGA ones. And I hate it when they include everything, but
it depends on the intended use. Multimedia apps, it's hard not to revert
to every library in the world.

Debian linux is by far my favorite linux because it comes with little.

> In my mind FreeBSD is more Unix like. Linux is more Windows like. Lets face it
> who has more market share, Windows. FreeBSD has tried to do everything,
> whereas Linux went after the desktop crowd and grew the server aspect via sheer
> userbase demand. When speaking about unix or should I just say, anything not
> Windows or Mac to most people, Linux has become like Kleenix. Who asks for a
> Face Tissue any more?  I even had a tech support person at Netapp ask what
> version of Linux FreeBSD was.

What was the quote, "Linux is for people who hate Windows, FreeBSD is for
the people who like Unix?" The rapid releases of 4.x to 5.x to 6.x felt
linux-like though.

I have a truck with a 72" rear projection display, and it runs FreeBSD for
content playback and netbsd for control (I lucked out that there was
nvidia support for freebsd, it was close to running linux). I was driving
with the wmaker desktop up and someone yelled "WHOOO LINUX!" Oh well. (
www.757truck.com for pictures and info ).

I tend to use whatever works best for the job.