advocacy/97154: freebsd.org doesn't display well in Firefox 1.5.0.3

Darren Pilgrim darren.pilgrim at bitfreak.org
Fri May 12 01:51:34 UTC 2006

Vanja wrote:
> I'm using 1.5.0.3 on 6.1-release, and everything seems to be fine at
> www.freebsd.org... Could You be more specific about "displays faulty"?

I don't know about the OP, but for me, running Firefox 1.5.0.3 and
Internet Explorer 6.0, there are multiple elements which don't size
correctly.  Navbars wrap and column items extend past the edge of the
grey area.  The short answer is the layout uses px sizing to hard-code
layout dimensions rather than allow the browser to resize the layout to
meet the requirements of the user.

This and other design and usability problems were brought to the
attention of those involved in the new layout's development back when
the new design was first launched.  A professional web designer for whom
I installed her development and productions servers, included an offer
to polish the layout to meet design and accessibility best practices.
She said it was the least she could do for FreeBSD making it possible to
start her business "without giving Microsoft one damn penny."  The
response?  Silence.

I say just close the PR.  No one cared then; why should they care now?