BSD Mall : to hell

Gilbert Fernandes gilbert.fernandes at spamcop.net
Fri Feb 24 11:49:04 PST 2006

> Can't you cancel your payment somehow?

Payment has been done a few monthes ago. The California Department of
Consumer Affairs replied me about the inquiry though :

==

Thank you for contacting the California Department of Consumer Affairs
(Department) with your concerns.

Although the information you provided indicates this is a business that does
not require registration with any regulatory division within this
Department, we can offer alternative options for further resolution of your
complaint.  Business and Professions Code Section 17509, which states that
civil and criminal penalties may apply to any person engaged in unfair
trade practices and for certain false or misleading advertising.

A suspected false advertisement or misleading statements and business
practices should be registered with the California Department of Justice,
Office of the Attorney General (AG).  If you have further questions or
concerns regarding this matter, please contact the AG directly at the
following address:

Department of Justice
Office of the Attorney General
Public Inquiry Unit
PO Box 944255
Sacramento, CA  94244-2550
(800) 952-5225 (in California)
(916) 322-3360
Web site: http://www.caag.state.ca.us

==

Emailing the contact address at BSD Mall did get me an answer when I
explained I was contacting the DJ for a public inquinry. Over the past two
monthes I had sent requests but they did not get any answer (because there
was no threat of inquiry ?).

Don Witt of BSD Mall's shipping services (an external company it seems)
answered me that "Your unit was shipped at the time you were charged" which
I know isnt true. One month after the order the unit has not been shipped.

They are sending me another set of CDs.

> Don't order CDs... They're always way out of date. Nowadays I
> never receive a new version CD before the next one is out.

Well I got enough bandwidth to download FreeBSD in a few minutes. But I did
order a set so I would keep it with me, with my OpenBSD and NetBSD sets.
Usually newer versions are available of course but it's more to keep a part
of history :)

And I hoped that some part of the buying money would go to FreeBSD as
organization but that's probably not the case :/

> Wherever there's people making money out of free software
> there's dishonesty.

Perhaps the best is to give money to organizations themselves and download
and burn the old way.

-Sigh-

--
unzip ; strip ; touch ; grep ; find ; finger ; mount ; fsck ; more ; yes ;
fsck ; umount ; sleep