[Fwd: porting the RealPlayer]

Ion-Mihai Tetcu itetcu at people.tecnik93.com
Sun Aug 20 18:47:24 UTC 2006

On Sun, 20 Aug 2006 11:19:07 -0700
Matt Olander <Matt at iXsystems.com> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I met with a developer of the Real Player at Linux World. She says
> they would *love* to port a native version of the Real player to
> FreeBSD. Yay! She even showed me that they have an older FreeBSD dev
> environment set up and are ready to start to try compiling it for
> release after we get it up to date.

Yay ! Good work :)

> We need a couple of FreeBSD experts to assist with
> questions/expertise/feedback to make sure this gets finished ;-)
> Please send me your name/email off list and I'll reply to her with a
> shortlist of who can help them.

Since it's great to volunteer others ;-) maybe netchild@ (cc'ed) has
time for this ?

 [ ... ]

> Also, we're currently only running nightly builds for the stable
> branch on FreeBSD.  Do you think we should be running the current
> branch as well?  That's where all the new functionality is going -
> like playlists and Windows Media (ahem.. if you have a license for
> it).  Depending on how long porting work takes, FreeBSD may want to
> just skip the currently released player and go for all the new
> technology.

From our point of view it would be no problem to have both in the Ports
Tree (The second as -devel).

I thought my people would grow tired of killing.  But you were
right, they see it is easier than trading.  And it has its pleasures.
I feel it myself.  Like the hunt, but with richer rewards.
		-- Apella, "A Private Little War", stardate 4211.8