Flash Player on FreeBSD

Jeff Cross jeff.cross at averageadmins.com
Mon Apr 10 18:05:51 UTC 2006

Michael Vince wrote:

>> Jeff Cross wrote:
>>
>>> I have seen a number of e-mails lately about a petition for having a
>>> native Flash Player for the FreeBSD operating system.  I have noticed
>>> that the flashplayer* plugin has been removed from the ports tree and I
>>> understand why.  But, what needs to happen to allow FreeBSD users to use
>>> the Flash Player plugin?
>>>
>>> I just saw where Verizon and Adobe have come to an agreement to allow
>>> Verizon to put the Flash Player on their mobile phones.
>>>
>>> http://www.cnn.com/2006/TECH/biztech/04/06/adobe.verizon.reut/index.html?section=cnn_tech
>>>

>>> Would it be possible to approach Adobe about getting this kind of
>>> agreement for FreeBSD?  I mean, their EULA says the software can't be
>>> used on the Windows XP Media Center operating system (unless I have
>>> misread this, please correct me if I'm wrong). There are a number of
>>> laptops coming out now with the Media Center OS on them.  Don't you
>>> think they run Flash Player on them?
>>>
>>> I'm not trying to kick a dead horse here.  Like I said earlier, I know
>>> this has been discussed time and time again.  But, I thoroughly enjoy
>>> using FreeBSD.  I rarely boot in to Windows any more.  As much as I hate
>>> to admit it, it just feels natural to visit a Flash enabled web site and
>>> have it work on FreeBSD.  Even though I don't visit that many (on
>>> purpose anyway), when I do I like to see what I visited the site to see,
>>> even if that happens to be Flash enabled content.
>>>
>>> I'm sure I'm not as smart as most of you guys, and don't claim to be,
>>> but I am willing to help!
>>>
>>> Jeff Cross
>>> www.averageadmins.com
>>>

>> I believe the only way this is going to happen is probably the same
>> way Verizon got theres and thats with handing over money.
>> I think if some one asked how much money it would cost to get
>> Macromedia/Adobe to port/create a flash player they might tell us say
>> $20k
>> This could easily be reached since other fund raises for FreeBSD have
>> accumulated large amounts of money pretty fast.
>> I talked about this in mid March for the FreeBSD Java project on this
>> mailing list as I noticed that Andre Oppermann fund raise was
>> obviously quite successful.
>>
>> Also Colin Percival did a fund raise less then a week ago got his
>> target of $15,000 Canadian in less then a week just to rewrite 2
>> programs which are already fully functional.
>
> BTW I forgot to list Colins web site just FYI.
> http://people.freebsd.org/~cperciva/funding.html
>
> Regards,
> Mike

I would be interested in heading this up if no one objects.  I could at
least do some of the leg work and see where we sit or if we can even get
a dollar amount and go from there.  I am used to dealing with
third-parties/vendors.  I do it on a daily basis at my day job and for a
side business I am a partner in.

I would obviously need some sort of blessing from the powers-that-be in
the FreeBSD realm.  I don't have an @freebsd.org e-mail address so they
may not want any correspondence coming from "noone at nobody.com" (a.k.a.
me) representing the FreeBSD project.

Anyway, I'm in!  If I can help or anyone out there in "FreeBSD
Headquarters" would like for me to head this up, where do I sign up?  If
you're interested, reply to the advocacy mailing list or contact me off
list, either way.

Sincerely,

Jeff Cross