FreeBSD 6.0 outperforms Linux in raw data throughput

Matt Olander matt at offmyserver.com
Mon Nov 7 09:34:16 PST 2005

On Nov 7, 2005, at 5:25 AM, Dan Langille wrote:

> I was told about this URL by someone seeking information on the
> benchmark:
>
> http://www.prnewswire.com/cgi-
> bin/stories.pl?ACCT=104&STORY=/www/story/11-04-2005/0004208871&EDATE=
>
> (or http://tinyurl.com/8zxzt)
>
> Does anyone have details on the benchmark please?

Hey Dan,

OffMyServer hasn't gotten anything formal up yet, but we will. This
was fairly generic testing on identical boxes with
vanilla installations (no tuning). Then, bonnie, iozone, and dd were
run on FreeBSD vs. Linux. We have a plan to begin saving all this
testing data that we do in production and make an attempt to
correlate it.

-matt

----
Matt Olander
Chief Technology Officer, OffMyServer, Inc.
Public Relations, The FreeBSD Project
(408)943-4100 Phone
(408)943-4101 Fax
www.offmyserver.com