freebsd-advocacy Digest, Vol 124, Issue 3

Joshua Tinnin krinklyfig at comcast.net
Thu Nov 3 20:17:52 PST 2005

On Thu 3 Nov 05 21:03, ac <ac at miensk.com> wrote:
> But IMO this funny red ball _r_e_a_l_l_y_ looks more attractive for
> newbies. At least, my co-workers (average PC users) have found it
> "friendly" and "intriguing", even "sexy".

I always figured those people would be better off getting a Mac. Not
that there's anything wrong with Macs or attracting new users, but not
sure the target demographic should be "average PC users." Can you
picture them using FreeBSD? Maybe I underestimate them or
misunderstand ... And not that FreeBSD can't be made easier, but I
prefer the idea that it should always be suitable to use in UNIX server
environments, including with headless installs and/or serial consoles.
I realize that most people who do the installation and administration
of such systems aren't going to be interested in marketing, though the
executive team might be (and they probably have more to say about
platform decisions in the end), but I don't know that FreeBSD should
attract the "average PC user." Alas, it's not up to me ... though I
think Beastie is a classic design with years of brand recognition, and
it could be incorporated into an "official" logo (I know, it's not
likely to work out like that ...).

This whole thing reminds me of the Poochie character on Itchy and
Scratchie (The Simpsons). Bleh ...

- jt