Cool, Matt! (was Re: Logo idea and FreeBSD.com concept)

Matt Olander matt at offmyserver.com
Thu Mar 3 15:46:20 PST 2005

On Thu, Mar 03, 2005 at 03:12:20PM -0800, Matt Olander wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 03, 2005 at 05:24:36PM -0600, Kevin Kinsey wrote:
> > Cool!  Back to the subject.  Recently you mentioned
> > "State of Florida", but I've never seen any press on that.
> >
> > Anyone know why?
> >
> > I guess it could be I don't get out enough .... :-D
>
> shhhhhh! that was linux!
> we need another movie to be made using FreeBSD clusters!
>
> does it count if Pixar is using Mac OSX servers?

I know, responding to my own post. How sad!

But, after I sent this, I thought it would be interesting to actually
find this out! So, I called Pixar and after banging around on the phone
for a bit, I got an operator...

Me: Hi, this is Matt calling on behalf of the FreeBSD project, can I
talk to somebody in Public Relations or in your Animation department?

Pixar: Can you tell me what this is regarding?

Me: Sure, the FreeBSD project is the Unix-based operating system that
Apple OSX is based on. We're curious if any of the movies that Pixar
makes are created using Renderman running on Apple OSX servers. If so,
I'd love to talk to somebody about it!

Pixar: And you said you are with FreeVSG corporation?

Me: No, The FreeBSD project. <here I spell it out>. It's an
operating system created by volunteers around the world.

Pixar: Hmmm...I'm not sure who you should talk to. What is it that you
need?

Me: You've heard of Linux?

Pixar: Oh yes, the cute pengiun, right?

Me: Yes, yes! That's right! We're kind of like that, only better! Anyone
in Public Relations would be great.

Pixar: Ok! One moment....

At any rate, she put me through to Pixar's Manager of Public Relations,
who didn't know what the hell I was talking about either. After a few minutes
of explanation, he gave me his contact information and said that if I
sent an email, he'd find out if they use OSX for any of their work.

Fun stuff :-)

-matt

--
Matt Olander