Logo idea and FreeBSD.com concept

Warren Myers volcimaster at gmail.com
Wed Mar 2 18:30:41 GMT 2005

I always trim my pages to 750 pixels. It gives a small border on each
side (except in the retardedly stupid css rendering in IE), and makes
it very readable. I run high res at home (1280x1024, because I only
have a 17"), and like to have multiple windows open simultaneously,
and if I could run 1600 or higher, I most certainly would. Having
multiple windows open is nearly a necessity anymore, and sizing the
site to fit in a common size of 750 wide (to allow for the window
borders and such) is a reasonable thing to do, in my opinion..

WMM

On Wed, 2 Mar 2005 10:22:49 -0800, Johnson David
<DavidJohnson at siemens.com> wrote:
> From: Devon H. O'Dell [mailto:dodell at offmyserver.com]
>
> > That is done for a reason, at least on my mockup. If you take a look at
> > websites of companies that are in the same market (Sun and IBM, for
> > instance), their pages do not do this either.
>
> There is a myth among corporations that webpages are supposed to look
> absolutely identical on every viewing. It's about their corporate image. If
> they thought they could prevent user-side stylesheets, they would. If they
> thought they could put up an image of the page and call it "html", they
> would. If they could forcibly resize the viewer's screen resolution, they
> would.
>
> If you do a complete survey of corporations, though, you will find that not
> all follow the above philosophies. But even if they all did, it would not
> matter, because we are not a commercial corporation. It doesn't matter to us
> if the user is using an unapproved temperature on their monitor, shifting
> the colors out of their carefully chosen trademark specifications. We're not
> that anal. Or at least we shouldn't be.
>
> > Both their sites look just fine at 1600x1200
> > as well.
>
> Irrelevant. The size of the monitor only determines the maximum size of the
> windows within it. I don't know anyone who browses in a maximized window on
> a 1600x1200 monitor. I'm sure people do, but they would be very rare
> individuals. The days of telling the user what size monitor they must have
> are long past.
>
> I have a 1600x1200 monitor but my browser windows are 800x1200 so I can put
> two of them up on the screen side by side. I can always tell when I get to a
> "made for 800x600" page, because suddenly it won't fit and I have horizontal
> scrollbars! That's because the few pixels for the window border makes my
> view slightly less than 800.
>
> So for me with my very large 21" monitor, I want a page that fits into a 788
> width. But that's just me. I'm sure there are tons of folks who prefer even
> smaller sizes.
>
> David

http://warrenmyers.com
"Don't let the elephants see what the rabbits are doing." --Ben R Rich
"He looks like a contented Christian with four aces." --Mark Twain