Logo idea and FreeBSD.com concept

W. D. WD at US-Webmasters.com
Wed Mar 2 16:56:17 GMT 2005

At 02:16 3/2/2005, Devon H. O'Dell, wrote:
>On Wed, 2005-03-02 at 02:07 +0100, Luyt wrote:
>> On Monday 28 February 2005 08:18, Devon H. O'Dell wrote:
>>
>> > it could still use a good bit of work.
>>
>> Indeed. For starters, the page doesn't adjust itself to the size of the
>> browser window.
>>

>That is done for a reason, at least on my mockup. If you take a look at
>websites of companies that are in the same market (Sun and IBM, for
>instance), their pages do not do this either. I suspect the reason for
>this is the logical one: there are still a surprisingly large number of
>people browsing at 800x600. Both their sites look just fine at 1600x1200
>as well. I'm more inclined to follow their model than other ``popular
>design'' models since these are companies who are known to spend more
>money than either of us will ever see in our lifetimes purely for
>research of their website interface.

This is just silly.  They make sites with a static width because
they just don't care.

Any respectable Web site design authority will strongly
recommend page width that adjusts to the browser window.

Think about it: what is more accomodating to your visitors who
have different browser configurations--static or variable?

Human factors (user friendly interfaces), are mostly ignored
on the vast majority of Web sites.  Show me any evidence
whatsoever that these companies mentioned above have spent a
penny on the human factors of their website interfaces!