Explaining FreeBSD features

Liam J. Foy liamfoy at sepulcrum.org
Tue Jun 21 17:38:32 GMT 2005

> Fafa, I've seen these kinds of efforts before and they are all
> generally doomed to failure.
>
> You see, the problem is that FreeBSD is not a general computer
> operating system product.  It is a very specific product in fact.
>
> Now, the USES that FreeBSD can be put to are VERY general.  BUT,
> do NOT make the mistake of confusing the fact that just because
> FreeBSD can be put to general use, that somehow it is a general
> product.  It is not.
>
> FreeBSD is targeted at 2 main groups of people:
>
> 1) Very knowledgeable people who are using it for personal, or
> in-house corporate projects.
>
> 2) Very knowledgeable people who are using it to construct
> turnkey systems for customers who couldn't care less what is
> under the hood.
>
> By contrast, Windows and Linux are in fact, general computer
> operating system products.  They are targeted at groups #1 and
> #2, but they are also targeted at group #3 which are:
>
> 3) People who barely know how to push a button who have a problem
> they need to fix with a computer operating system, and they
> really don't care if they understand how the fix works as long
> as it works.

My 11 year old sister uses KDE and OpenOffice fine on FreeBSD. I think the
problem arrives when setting these things up. Once these are setup, it's almost
the same as Windows in my personal opinion. I once seen an Internet Cafe using
FreeBSD on about 40+ machines with KDE. Am sure these users hardly noticed the
difference.

We should be promoting that what can be done on Linux(in terms of desktop usage)
can be done on FreeBSD.

> This gives rise to a rather serious Catch-22 with FreeBSD:
>
> You need to really understand intimately how FreeBSD works
> and how computer software that runs on it works in order to
> get it to work well enough for you to learn intimately how it
> works.

I disagree. By 'intimately' do you mean the internals?

--
		- Liam J. Foy
		liamfoy at sepulcrum.org