filesystems not properly unmounted [OT]

yuval levy yuval_levy at yahoo.com
Mon Jun 6 15:50:01 GMT 2005

--- Matthias Buelow <mkb at incubus.de> wrote:

> Yuval Levy wrote:
>
> > Usability
> > is a count on which FreeBSD has weaknesses,
> > especially in the eye of the
> > large segment of users who value a GUI, i.e. those
> > coming from the Windows world.
>
> Maybe, but I only speak for myself, and not for that
> large segment of
> users who value a [Windows-style] GUI.

It is the market share that speaks for the silent
majority who values and uses such a GUI.

> I always found X11 more useful
> than Windows, if only because I could resize dialog
> windows, something
> that still doesn't seem to have made it into many
> Windows programs.

Agree that Windows has a lot of nuisances, besides, it
always sticks in my face and interrupts me.
Unfortunately most GUIs do, making multitasking a
pain.

I personally find the differences between the existing
GUIs less important than the applications that run on
them. I take whatever there is for a default, as 90%
of the users do (according to usability lab results).

So I use Windows, I use Gnome (at least I think this
is the default of Fedora Core 3) and I sometimes use
KDE (default of Knoppix?). I have heard of X11 but I
do not know much about it. Is it the underlying layer
to both Gnome and KDE? No offense meant, but the
further away from the application, the least I know. I
am a dummy by choice.

Yuv